Friday 13 September 2013

Anger in Politics

So yesterday, my boyfriend texts me and tells me Wendy Davis has decided to run for governor of Texas. My reaction: well that's just peachy. I knew she was going to after pulling that little filibuster over the summer.


I really, really do not like this woman. That is because she claims to stand for "Texas women" (me) and yet she was opposing a law that would make it safer for women to have abortions in Texas (although it would also conveniently cause the closure of all but five abortion clinics in Texas). Anyway, now is not the time for a rant about what happened then. This is about what is happening now.

As I said before, I really do not like her. In fact, she frustrates and angers me so much that after I received this news from my boyfriend I couldn't focus on biology homework. So, being at Franciscan University, where there is a chapel in every dorm, I decided to go spend some time with Jesus, to help me calm down.

When I pray, I like to journal my thoughts. It's almost like writing a letter to Jesus. So, sitting there in the chapel, I start to tell Jesus about my frustration, and ask him how I can overcome it (remember where Jesus tells us to "love our enemy"? Yeah, that was in the gospel that day at mass.) So I'm sitting there thinking and praying and thinking...and then I start to think about Jesus and his relationship to the Pharisees.

When Jesus was here ministering to his people, he had some opposition from the Pharisees (you could even extend this to Pontius Pilate or even Caesar himself). At the time he was ministering, many of his disciples wanted to make him the physical "king" of the Jews. It doesn't talk much about this in the Gospels, but Jesus refuses, instead choosing to die on a cross.

By doing this, he actually does something WAY better for his people than he could have if he established a kingdom on earth. He serves his people's spiritual needs, because he knew that true happiness could only be found united with him in heaven. Which really is so much better, because if you think of any kingdom here on earth, each and every one has fallen in its own time. Things on earth are not permanent, but eternity is.

To go even further with this idea, I would argue that every kingdom (including the United States of America) has been ruled by the rich/upper class/elite. No matter how hard the poor have tried to have a say, they are always shot down by the rich and the educated. This is the way it has always been, and this is the way it should be, when you think about it. Jesus tells us to store our treasures in heaven, because that is where we will spend eternity. The rich have literally stored their treasure on earth, so they have a natural right to rule it.

So what then is left for the poor? To pick up our cross. Life on earth is not permanent. In fact, it is incredibly short compared to eternity. Jesus only asks us to suffer for a little while (just as he did) and then join him in paradise. He knows that the battle for the poor has already been lost on earth, but the best thing is, He has already won it for us in heaven.

So when you get caught up in politics, ranting about some crazy lady who only cares about glorifying herself, remember it is only a distraction. Remember that the battle is already over. Remember to pick up your cross, and follow in the Lord's footsteps.


"Therefore, putting away falsehood, speak the truth, each one to his neighbor, for we are members one of another. Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun set on your anger, and do not leave room for the devil. The thief must no longer steal, but rather labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with one in need. No foul language should come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear . . . And be kind to one another, compassionate, forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ." -Ephesians 4:25-29, 32.

May the love of Christ be with you all.

Any disagreements/concerns: c.steele@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment