Saturday 17 August 2013

Quite the Jokester

God's got a lot of ways to communicate with us down here on Earth. We've seen a burning bush, pillars of smoke, angels, a bright star, booming voices, apparitions and visions. The list goes on and on. He uses methods of communication like these to convey important instructions and keep us headed in the right direction. It's quite a serious business. However, I can't help but wonder if God just loves getting a good chuckle in sometimes.

I'd like to share with you a little event that happened a few weeks ago. I was working in New Orleans for a few weeks, staying with my aunt and uncle, and witnessed my aunt get some sickness. She was coughing and fevery and absolutely miserable for two whole weeks. Germaphobe that I am, I tried my best to avoid getting sick. I thought I had succeeded. But then, my last week, I left work early--shivering, sore throat, and headache. As I lay in my bed battling a fever after having been away from my home and parents for weeks, I pleaded with God.

I know there are a lot of worse things in the world....but please make it stop. I can't handle a two week illness. I have meetings next week. I have things to do, people to see, places to be. Please God! 

Finally, after three miserable days, I told Him, I will pray the rosary TWICE tomorrow if I feel fine by then.

Much to my surprise, God complied. I was not expecting that. I knew He was the God who conquered giants, but I didn't think He'd actually stoop so low as to conquer germs. So night rolled around and I pulled out the Laudate app on my phone to pray the rosary (side note: best Catholic app on earth. Get it). But it didn't take long for the mere presence of my phone to sidetrack me. And then I fell asleep, rosary un-prayed and God unhappy.

I put it off a few days more, sometimes because I forgot, other times because I wasn't in "prayer mood." I hadn't prayed the rosary in forever, so to me, it just seemed boring and monotonous. Motivation to follow up with my promise was scarce.

Then God reminded me that I had promised. "Not so fast. You're not getting away with it that easily..." I could just picture Him saying.

I walked into my room after arriving home from the trip and was immediately confronted with a not-so-subtle reminder that God was still waiting for me to fulfill my part of the bargain. There, sitting on my table, was an unfamiliar rosary. I asked my mom about it, and she told me that she had found it in the laundry and assumed it was mine. Well, it most definitely was not mine, nor was it anyone else's in the household.

I see what you did there, God...clever, very clever. Okay, you win. Message received, loud and clear.

I started praying...

And to my surprise, the rosary is awesome! I wasn't expecting to re-discover a great form of devotion. So thank goodness we've got a Father like that who keeps us honest and holds us accountable! If it weren't for Him, I'd still be sick, miserable, and under the impression that the Rosary is boring!

Thank you for reading and God bless,
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment