Tuesday 20 August 2013

Word of the Day: Embarrassment

Embarrassed means to feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed. I looked it up... Nobody likes to feel embarrassed. One moment can haunt you for years.

But, one day God may call you to do something that does not make sense, to you, or to anyone else. And because nobody understands why God called you to do such a thing, it will cause you to feel embarrassed. 

It may be something like blessing your meal one day at lunch, while your friends sit there, noticeably uncomfortable, and maybe that will bother you so much that next time, you just don't bother to pray, because "you don't want your friends to feel uncomfortable." 

Or maybe, God will call you to do something bolder, something crazier. Maybe He already has. 

What we can not do is let our feeble human understanding convince us into believing that are actions were mistaken, and that we were foolish to think that God would actually call us to do that. The devil wants us to live in shame and embarrassment, to feel insecure and silly, to feel vulnerable and weak.

Bothers and Sisters, I once thought that I could never embarrass myself for God because I needed to be the symbol of strength and holiness for a people who needed someone strong, but I did not understand the Truth. I am not strong, and I cannot even pretend to be strong. My strength lies in God. A Lord who is strength, and peace, and Love. Today, brothers and sisters, place your hope, not in my words or witness, but in the hands of the God who saves. 

1 John 3:18-20
Little children, let us not love in word or speech but in deed and in truth. By this we shall know that we are of the truth, and reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment