Friday 16 August 2013

Why I didn't go to mass today...

I've always been bad at taking medicine. Currently, I have to take eight pills a day for a certain medical condition, and it takes a real mental effort for me to not get focused on something else before I take my morning pills. It's not like I don't want to get better, it's just that I have other daily priorities that are typically a lot more exciting than taking my medicine.

When I woke up this morning, I decided I was going to go to Mass. However, here I am typing away at this blog. The title is is self-explanatory. Somehow, life got in the way of Mass...

I remember specifically thinking while driving to Mass today, how the Devil will give you 14 trillion reasons why not go to to daily Mass or Confession, and how I really needed to learn how to "take my medicine" without getting distracted by what may be more interesting or more important to me. And I still didn't get to Mass! I told myself I would get my daily errands done and then go to the later Mass, but once again, here I am. I forgot. 

I forgot? I forgot??? What? After the experiences I had with the living God, which truly strengthened my faith, I cannot remember to get to Mass and receive the body of the one who continually saves me?

An analogous situation would be if I knew that my medicine could heal me as long as I continued to take it regularly, but then I didn't take my medicine!

Oh wait. That's exactly what I do.

Brothers and Sisters, I come to you once again, as a sick patient in need of a healer. I was given a prescription. I tried it out and it worked, but now I just have to keep taking it, even when the remedying  effects are not so noticeable. Help me take my medicine.

Together, let's pray for each other, that when we get really sick in sin, we will look to the one who can heal us. 


"Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed."

Thank you so much for reading! 

May God bless you and keep you,
Alex 

No comments:

Post a Comment